Monday, April 28, 2014

Amalfi Coast

This is my last week in Florence! I should be studying for my oral exam tomorrow but I would rather post these pictures. I took a group trip with Bus2Alps with a group of girls from my program down to the Amalfi Coast. We stayed in Sorrento in a hotel by the beach and did day trips to Capri, Positano and finally Pompeii. Capri was beautiful. We had a boat tour around the entire island. We couldn't go inside the blue grotto due to the tide but they pointed out the green grotto, the white grotto, the elephant rock, the faraglioni, and Denzel Washington's house. After that we hiked and took buses up to Ana Capri where we had lunch. After that we took a small chair lift up to the very top of the island, which was covered in fog so we just went back down. We then hiked all the way down to the beach where some people went swimming (I sat in the sun and drank a beer). The next day we took a bus to Positano where we got onto boats which took us to a place to cliff dive (I had a beer instead) and cave swimming (which I actually participated in). I really don't like cold water but I had a really nice time despite the fact that I couldn't feel my extremities. As soon as we got back to the beach it began to pour down with rain so we took shelter in a cafe and had some cake before doing some shopping and heading home. I had probably the best kebab I have ever had in Sorrento that night. On our way back to Florence the next day we stopped in Pompeii for a couple of hours. I did the tour where we got to see a typical house, the grain storage, the fish market, the forum, the spa and a brothel. It was incredible walking around the city and seeing how well preserved it is. Apparently brothels were a big deal in Pompeii and there are penises all carved into the sidewalks and onto the side of buildings to point out the way. We ended the trip with some pizza and then sat in traffic for a couple of hours. I think that overall the trips that I've done in Italy have been my favorite. I loved the Amalfi Coast and when I return to Italy (someday) it's going to be the first place I go. I finally have my travel plans figured out for after the program which I will post this week! 











































































1 comment: